Thursday, May 13, 2021

Passover "Pains" and Shavuot Grains

Passover Prep

Earlier this spring, I decided to look at all the secondary (economic, social, social-justice, and so on) issues caused by our politicians' and media's responses to CoV-SARS-2 (aka, COVID-19, the Novel Corona Virus, the 'Rona, etc.) as the modern equivalent of the Ten Plagues of the Biblical book of Exodus. My first design tried to put a bit of visual mnemonics: the "O" in the word "lockdown" looked like a keyhole, I had silhouettes of wild animals behind the line "wildlife incursions", and so on. I ended up with something looking a bit too much like the old "Ransom Note" aesthetic (or lack thereof!) of the early 1990s, so I started again from scratch. After playing around with a couple of different typefaces and moving the plagues around to avoid adjacent plagues of the same colors, I came up with something worth putting into vinyl:

While some of us might have chosen other plagues, or ways of expressing them, I had to keep in mind that my choices had to appeal to a broader, often progressive audience.

The seders themselves gave me more questions, some of which have brought me down an interesting rabbit-hole of published Biblical research. If I come to anything worth raising Ishmael, I'll probably write about it over on The Contrary Point of View.

Moving Towards Shavuot

Starting with the second night of Passover, Jews start a ritual called counting the Omer, referring to the seven-week period of the grain harvest. Conveniently, this period ends with the Biblical holiday of Shavuot (Pentecost) when, by tradition, the Law (the Ten Commandments and the start of the Oral Law that accompanies it) was received by the Tribes of Israel at Mount Sinai. The two-day harvest festival is relatively low-key for most Jews (stay home from work, add extra prayers, study Jewish Law, eat dairy foods), so it's not the sort of holiday that lends itself to a lot of holiday-specific decoration.

However, working at a craft store, and seeing religious designs that seem to focus on the Christian and the arguably-appropriated (dreamcatchers from Native American traditions, mandalas from Hinduism and Buddhism), along with designs that seem to align with Wicca and other European Earth traditions, I feel the need to create some balance with designs that celebrate Judaism.

Inspiration and Symbology

My original idea was to create a Mount Sinai with fire and smoke ascending or descending upon it, the traditional two tablets representing the Ten Commandments in the foreground, and 49 stalks of wheat, one for each day of the Omer. While this might have worked as a drawing or painting, it would have been way too busy for a t-shirt. I ended up with a rough outline of the peak of Mount Sinai, the two tablets (with the Commandments mnemonically reduced down to their numbers), and twelve stalks of wheat (one for each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel) divided into two groups of six, framing the Hebrew word "Shavuot". Those looking for a little more symbolism might recognize that the groups of six are further divided into two groups of three, with the two on the right side set up similarly to the Hebrew letter shin, the first letter in the Hebrew word for "Almighty". 

original Shavuot Design, including background

I didn't want another white T-shirt — I wanted a bit of "natural" color — but I also wanted to use a blank I already had in stock. After examining my stash, I hovered between Bella+Canvas crew necks in Mauve and Dusty Blue, and started putting them together with vinyl colors. I settled on the mauve, using metallic, foil, and glitter accents to create texture in my final composition.


I'm planning to wear it at least once to work before the holiday, and again for a Zoom-based holiday celebration.


No comments:

Post a Comment